A Proud Calgarian...

Posted by on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Yesterday 53% of eligible voters voted in the City of Calgary.

In 2004, only 19.8% voted. In 2007 a whopping 32.9% voted.

53% people! That is more than half.  That is unheard of in... well, Canada...

Yes, the person I voted for mayor won, and no, my aldermanic candidate did not. But I made my voice heard.

I am a firm believer in the theory that "if you don't take the time to vote, you don't have the right to bitch when something goes wrong".

So... to the 53% of you that voted... hold your elected officials accountable.  To the other 47%, shame on you. This was the most interesting and fun election in years - you should've been a part of it.  It was a blast.  I look forward to doing it again in three years.

3 Comments

  1. Weeooo. Happy your guy won :)

    And props to the 53%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! And yeah, my aldermanic choice lost too. Demong is a Tory hack so I will have lots to complain about. And unlike most, I do call my alderman, MLAs and MPs to bitch when their policies piss me off. Ha!

    BTW, funny story from about six years back. I called my MLA when the whole gay marriage debate was going on (and Ralph said the province would not play ball). I talked to my MLA (Ady...I believe she is still active in my old ward). She told me that it was her moral stance that it was wrong. I told her there was no point arguing about religious morality only facts. Once we agreed to disagree, she admitted that her party would have to change to appeal to younger voters if it was to remain viable. I think we have now finally see that sea change she feared! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. voting is fun when you win. But i think im better at picking winners on dancing w/the stars. I never pick the right people in politics.

    i also never pick the right grocery line. you should never get behind me on anything apparently!

    except dwts. vote for jennifer and derek!

    ReplyDelete