Standing on my Winter Soapbox...
Posted by Carmen on Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Yes - I live in Canada. Where it snows all year and we live in igloos. And I've never had snow tires. Ever.
You see - I don't believe that people need them. Once it snows, if you drive safely and pay attention, you can do just fine on all season tires.
Snow tires, in my honest opinion, give drivers a sense of invincibility. Like they can drive like they do in the summer, because they have a tire with a different tread.
On the walk in from the parking lot today, I saw three cars spinning tires trying to start up at a stop sign. All had their winters on. One, slid his way to a stop at the sign, because he was going too fast. So why bother with the $1000 expense of winter tires?
You can drive safely on all season tires (even in Canada!) if you follow my rules of driving...
1) Slow the fuck down. There is no need to break land speed records when there is ice/snow on the ground.
2) Use your goddamn signal (this is especially important in all driving conditions)... because in 17 years of driving I've yet to be blessed with the ability to read your bloody minds.
3) Drive a standard. I can almost guarantee that the majority of people spinning their tires to get going are in automatics, cause they have less control.
4) Pay attention to those around you. You're not the only person on the damn road, so, like in all conditions, you must drive defensively.
5) Don't drive like a prick. This goes hand-in-hand with all my other rules, but I don't care what the hell tires you're using... driving like a prick just pisses people off.
Now... if you'd like to pay me $1000 for my advise instead of paying for winter tires, let me know. I'll send you my Paypal information.